Mouseover a map icon for photos
Quarry Walk at Dailly 4.25km. Path Marker Symbol: Tramway and hutch full of coal. A short circular walk for those with limited time to sample the area. However when undoubtedly tempted back this walk can be linked with the Kilgrammie Walk to make a longer excursion. From the village a short walk past the golf course takes you to a woodland path through a tranquil conifer plantation with good open views from the western corner. Nearby is a ruined engine room, the only building to survive from Kilgrammie Colliery which closed in 1907. The old railway sidings for coal wagons can be found nearby.
Dailly grew as a coal mining village over three centuries ago, however its history and people date back many more centuries. The village is well worth exploring with the most interesting part around the church (1766) where a small square is overlooked by a white granite war memorial. An interesting fact is that Ailsa Craig is in Dailly Parish. This is because the island was owned by the Barony of Knockgerron, with Knockgerron being in Dailly Parish which extended to the sea in what today is now the Parish of Girvan.
Lindsayston Walk at Dailly 4.5km. Path Marker Symbol: Curling stone, the walk passes the old curling pond. Leaving the village the route through Lindsayston Wood follows the burn. A series of delightful waterfalls and pools makes this an enchanting secluded place. A rustic seat carved out of local oak from Kilkerran Estate is sited at a particularly beautiful spot overlooking the tumbling waters. It is a delight to walk along the woodland path and like other walks around Dailly is a sanctuary for wildlife. If you are lucky you may see heron and dippers feeding in the burn.
The route continues along a section of the unclassified hill road to Barr where on the left by the roadside you can see a small sandstone memorial which is inscribed "Dr C". It is not known who Doctor C was but local tradition has it that he was a Doctor from Maybole who was killed at this spot, when thrown from his horse, whilst returning from visiting an outlying patient. An interesting relic of a bygone age can be seen at the junction of the track to Balcamie. In the woods beside the burn are the remains of the old waulkmill at Gettybeg. This mill, powered by water from the burn was used in a process to make heavier and more compact cloth through shrinking and beating. Sadly the waterwheel has long gone. Returning along an attractive narrow track past Balcamie Farm on the right is the site of the old curling pond now filled in.
Maxwellston Hill Walk at Dailly 5.5km. Path Marker Symbol: Fence posts symbolising greater access to the countryside. A linear hill walk for those who relish a little steep rough walking. The splendid views leading to the top are as good as any in the district. The walk takes you past the cemetery and follows the crystal waters of the Lindsayston Burn. Hadyard Hill looms ahead and with Maxwellston Hill forms an impressive backdrop along the southern boundary of the Girvan Valley. Views open up as height is gained by climbing up the exposed shoulder of Hadyard on to the moorland plateau. This is the habitat of a variety of wildlife including curlew, buzzard, peregrine, kestrel and merlin. Although waymarked, care should be taken when traversing the hilltop in bad weather as the lack of distinct landmarks on the plateau can make navigation difficult. With the village of Dailly and the Girvan Valley lying well below, the site of a pre-historic fort on the summit of Maxwellston Hill is reached. The remains of the Pictish fortress consisting of two ramparts and two ditches can be seen. This fort has associations with Robert the Bruce, who having landed on the Ayrshire coast from Arran took refuge here following an unsuccessful attack on Turnberry Castle. Bruce camped with some 300 men for three days before moving to a more secure location in the Galloway Hills On a clear day extensive views are afforded of the Ayrshire coast towards the Cumbraes and to the south overlooking Penquhapple reservoir the Southern Uplands stretch to the horizon .
Kilgrammie Walk at Dailly 7.5km. Path Marker Symbol: Jock Tamson`s Bairns. John Thomson the originator of the saying "They're all Jock Tamson's Bairns" was born in Dailly. This walk has many associations with the coal mining industry of a bygone era. Walking through Kilgrammie, little is evident of that life as new woodland has obscured nearly all traces. An attractive walk through conifers with the possibility of seeing wildlife, roe deer, squirrel, sparrow hawks and buzzard. Close by is the old Kilgrammie pit. This was the site where in 1835, John Brown a 66 year old collier was trapped in a pitfall and remained underground without food for 23 days and came out alive. Most had given John up for dead but several worked on as they thought they heard cries. When they eventually found a totally exhausted John Brown his words were "Boys oh but were a long time coming". One report says he would have been spared his ordeal had he not turned back to pick up his jacket as others fled the collapsing workings. Sadly John quietly expired three days later and his grave is to be found in the village churchyard. From the highest point of the woodland, pause and enjoy a lovely view down the Girvan Valley. A seat is positioned at this point for the walker's convenience. Continuing along the track, the circuit is now complete with the short stroll back into Dailly.
Barony Hill Walk at Dailly 10.5km. Path Marker Symbol: Oak leaf from the Colliers Oak, where miners used to meet.Leaving the village the route passes Balcamie Farm and climbs towards Barony Hill with views west towards the coast and Ailsa Craig beyond. Ascending the hill the track passes close to Machrikill. This is believed to be the site of a cell or chapel founded in the first century by St Machar. It contains parts of an oval shaped earth enclosure within which are two ancient Christian pedestal stones with sockets for holding crosses. Until recent times Dailly Parish Church was known a St Marcher's Church of Dailly. Crossing the bare hillside the summit of Barony Hill is reached, where there is the opportunity to take in the view and rest on the many oak log seats distributed throughout the walks. It is a joy to walk through Falfarocher Glen following the burn downstream through a marvelous woodland which is the haunt of roe deer, badger and fox. Walking the bank of the Water of Girvan the route passes the now derelict Dalquharran Mansion, which is conspicuous on high ground on the north side of the river. It was built in 1786 to a design by Robert Adam and commissioned by Thomas Kennedy who married Jean Adam, a niece of Robert. Wings were added to the left and right of the house in 1881 pending a royal visit which never took place. In 1936 it opened its doors as Scotland's grandest youth hostel until the war intervened. After re-crossing the river the ruins of the old Dalquhairn Castle can be seen through the woods. The castle dates from the 16th century and was built by a branch of the Kennedy's of Culzean and was acquired by Sir Thomas Kennedy of Kirkhill and Colmonell, an offshoot of the Bargany Kennedy's who held it until 1935. The grounds contain a walled garden, stables and a family graveyard with an obelisk, crosses and chest tombs. T he path now meanders through a riverside wood of predominately sycamore, yew, lime and elm. In spring and early summer snowdrops, daffodils and bluebells carpet the woodland floor. Before reaching the village the path crosses a footbridge (constructed in 2002) over the River Girvan. This artistic designed bridge is the main focus of the paths network around Dailly. The path through the Dalquharran woods to the bridge and from the bridge to the village is suitable for wheelchair access.
Dailly is between Maybole and Girvan - a small village it is not to be confused with Old Dailly a few miles away. The walks here range from 4.5km to over 10km through fields up hills and along river sides. There is much history in the area as well as great scenery and views. Experience the real rural Ayrshire at Dailly.